Episode 265 of the CMP, a Creativity Matters Podcast – A Week 1 of Inktober 2017 Retrospective
In this episode of the CMP, a coffee talk show (AKA casual) and a look at week 1 of Inktober… thoughts on a sketchbook that has great (and thick) paper… reminders and words of encouragement and support about doing a daily drawing challenge. You will learn a lot, but it may be gradual, so don’t be discouraged. After 30 days, you may look back and be surprised! [Skip to 25 minutes if you want to dive into the meat of the show and skip the “my journey” talk and get to the nuding, reassurance, and motivation.]
The Flow of Episode 265 (and relevant links):
- 06:35 Inktober week 1… Days 1-6 in a Pentalic Traveler
- 18:50 Self-pressure in doing a daily challenge
- 19:45 10PM and the blank page (plus cobalt blue pants)
- 21:40 Shifted to Lamy XL
- 25-26… quotes coming. Skip to here if you are in a hurry!
- 25:06 Group observations
- 27:43 Trying to reclaim ink in my head (so no pencil underdrawing this month)
- 28:00 The moral to the story — you won’t love every single drawing you do in a daily
- 29:00 Do things that have meaning for you; do what you love; love what you do
- It is OK to love your work – and to admit that!
- 30:26 You’ll learn a lot doing a daily drawing challenge… if you let yourself and trust in the process
- 31:00 Learning happens on a gradient, gradual uptick in skill — you may not notice day to day
- 33:12 The way to get better at drawing is to draw
- 33:50 Read Creative License (Danny Gregory) — it is a pivotal book in learning to accept, trust, and love your OWN line.
Mentioned in this show:
- Pentalic Traveler 4×6
- Full range of Pentalic at Amazon (lots of sizes and colors)
- Platinum Carbon pen
- Lamy XL pen
- Guitar music: Nicholai Heidlas on SoundCloud
- Creativity Matters Group at Facebook
- Support the Creativity Matters Podcast with Patreon!
(Note: Links to books (and other supplies and art tools) on this site are often affiliate links to Amazon.com. In most cases, I recommend you use your local library to check out books before you make buying decisions, but the links provided are affiliate links to Amazon.)